Wednesday, May 17, 2006

The Great C-Uian Smoke-out!

Looks like the end is nigh for smoking in bars and restaurants in C-U, and I have mixed feelings on the issue. As an occasional smoker, it's nice to light one up while drinking with a few buddies and get my nic fix. I sort of think of the two going hand in hand, even if I'm not smoking. *shrugs* I don't know. I'm far from taking responsibilities for someone else's health, but I'm guessing if you don't wanna be around smoke, then you don't go to a bar. Make that choice for yourself, but don't take it away from me. Restaurants are one thing, because there are underaged individuals (ie children) who can't always make the choice about where they are eating. They don't deserve the ramifications of second-hand smoke laid upon them. However, at a bar, I think the owners need to be given the choice to decide whether or not they want their place smoke-free or to have smoke-free nights at their establishments.

Rumor is that once this smoking ban is in place, that there will be no smoking allowed within twenty feet of a restaurant. If that's true, it essentially puts downtown Champaign and campustown at U of I out of commission for smokers. What concerns me is that there will not only be smoking citations given out, but that all of a sudden a smoking ticket will be an excuse to be hassled for any other number of reasons. I think I see the start of our civil liberties going up in smoke.

2 Comments:

At 12:22 PM, May 20, 2006, Blogger Hon Don Gerard said...

Word to the wise - invest in spitoon manufacturers...I'm just saying...

 
At 3:35 PM, June 12, 2006, Blogger greymatter said...

*laughs* Yeah! Chewing tobacco sales skyrocket in light of the smoking band! *laughs* Now that would be a hilarious response to the smoking ban.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Free Counter